General Category > Discussion - Drivers

Can I assign my UART Serial Adapter Cables text strings that a PC can read?

<< < (2/2)

earnie:

--- Quote from: FTDI Community on February 23, 2021, 04:35:41 PM ---The D2XX driver is used to program the device parameters like serial number and description.
--- End quote ---
Using the VCP-driver, I can view the serial number in the Device Manager by right-clicking -> Properties -> Details tab -> choosing Device instance path in the Property combobox. Can I do something similar to view the contents of the description you're referring to, in the Device Manager when using VCP-driver? Everything I'm able to view in the Device Manager, my C# application can view as well. So my idea is that I program the EEPROM using the D2XX-driver, but once the EEPROM is programmed, from then on I only use the VCP-driver.

FTDI Community:
Hello,

OK Windows uses the VID, PID and Serial Number to enumerate the device, so that's why you can see that in the Device instance path property.
However note that sometimes Windows may not assign the serial number in the registry entry. It may use different nomenclature so it shouldn't be relied upon.

The Product Description can only be read using the D2XX Driver.

Your program could easily use the D2XX driver to find out the information and pass that information to continue using the VCP Driver.
You could use the following D2XX functions to find out the information that you require:

FT_CreateDeviceInfoList
FT_GetDeviceInfoList
FT_Open / FT_OpenEx
FT_GetComPortNumber
FT_Close

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version