General Category > Discussion - Software

FT232H for I2C via LibMPSSE: Issues using Linux drivers/software

<< < (2/4) > >>

FTDI Community:
Hello,

FT_IO_ERROR indicates that the driver has sent a message to the IC but there was no response from the IC. This is usually caused by hardware issues. We have some hardware guidelines at the following:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/AppNotes/AN_146_USB_Hardware_Design_Guidelines_for_FTDI_ICs.pdf

Power configurations can be found in the ICs datasheet.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

SebastianM:
Hmm, we have not found any hardware issue.
Currently, we are using the UM232H development board, I guess it is designed according to AN_146_USB_Hardware_Design_Guidelines_for_FTDI_ICs.pdf?
With the Python module "pyftdi" the communication works without problems.
With the libMPSSE it does not work without problems even when slowing I2C down to 100kHz, adding delays and so on.
The signals look very good on an oscilloscope and the slave ACKs the byte that the FTDI IC does not handle properly but times out (libMPSSE times out after 5 seconds while trying to read one byte to get the status).

FTDI Community:
Hello,

How have you connected the module to the host, is this through a hub (powered)?
Have you tried on any other Linux distros? Do you have a 32 bit machine you can try it on?

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

SebastianM:
It is directly connected to a USB slot of the mainboard.
I have no 32-bit machine for test. I could set up a virtual machine.
What Linux distribution would you recommend?

FTDI Community:
Hello,

Shouldn't be any hardware issues then as long as you are using an appropriately spec'd USB cable.

You could try a virtual machine to see if the issue persists, I usually run Ubuntu distros when testing things on VMs.

You could also try the code from AN_411, this does not use LibMPSSE (you would need to port it from C# back to the standard D2XX C definitions):
https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/AppNotes/AN_411_FTx232H%20MPSSE%20I2C%20Master%20Example%20in%20Csharp.pdf

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version