FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: Visual Studio Code Debugging  (Read 9669 times)

microcompiler

• View Profile
Visual Studio Code Debugging
« on: June 12, 2018, 06:04:24 AM »

I'm looking for some thoughts or inspiration.  I have successfully setup Visual Studio Code (VSCode) for building, debugging and flashing the Bridgetek FT90X micro controller using the UMFTPD2A debug/programmer module and FT9xx Toolchain. However, I've been really struggling with one small issues.  If I try and step into any tool chain function like "delayms()" I get a very strange error message that includes a file path for "c:/Jenkins/workspace/..." and I do not have this path on my PC.  I'm running out of things to try to solve this issue and hope someone might have an fresh idea.  Here is the github project (https://github.com/microcompiler/bridgetek) .

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Studio Code Debugging
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 10:52:41 AM »

Hello,

This is quite interesting. What is the reason for creating this VSCode?

We provide a fully working FT9xx Toolchain which is supported by Bridgetek.

To help you resolve your problem, you could include the API source code in order to step into the API functions.
The source code files can be found here:

C:\Users\Username\Documents\Bridgetek\FT9xx\2.3.2\Source\src

If the source code files are not included into the project, they can not be stepped into during debug.

BRT_TN_002 Modifying FT9xx API Functions section 2.2 Copy Source shows you how to do this.

So if you include delay.c into your project, you will be able to step into this API function.

Also it could be because you have linked against the debug version of the binary (libft9xx.lib). The lib was built by our internal build system and so the debug info contains the pathname to delay.c on the build machine.

You should let gdb know that it can search your local source folder to locate the lib ft900 source code.

https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Source-Path.html

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:50:25 PM by FTDI Community »

microcompiler

• View Profile
Re: Visual Studio Code Debugging
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 06:17:25 AM »

Thank you for your quick response! It really helped.  :)

I was able fix the issue by adding "-environment-directory C:\\Users\\BobSmi~1\\Documents\\Bridgetek\\FT9xx\\2.3.2\\Source\\src" to the gdb setup commands.

To answer your question as to why did i create it.  I spend the majority of my time developing in Visual Studio (mostly C#) and have been spoiled by Intellisense over the years.   Your official Toolchain worked great along with the Eclipse IDE but I felt like Visual Studio might enhance the build and flash process slightly.

Thank You!