FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: issue related to UM232H eval. board  (Read 21424 times)

Rajesh@sys

• View Profile
issue related to UM232H eval. board
« on: September 11, 2018, 08:08:17 AM »

hai,
 i am trying to use um232h eval board in sync fif0 mode.
 iam using windows7 64 bit.

In the document, 2.3 Synchronous FIFO I/O/page no: 8  Given that "Synchronous FIFO mode can only be accessed by the D2XX driver, with Bit Mode set to 0x40."

i have downloaded the cdm package.
and extracted from it. i am not getting any application software(.exe) to install he drivers.
i am getting .lib,.dll etc files

am i installed d2xx driver or not ?

but i am not getting how to change d2xx driver settings .

when i open D2XX.DLL file. i am not able to understand the code.

how and where the code need to change. ??

help me get a solution. ??

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: issue related to UM232H eval. board
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »

Hello,

The package which you mentioned will install the D2xx driver which will provide an API for your own program to call, and will not need any modification itself. You would then write a separate application in a development environment such as Visual Studio to use the device via the driver. This would use the driver API calls such as FT_Open, FT_SetBitMode etc. from the programmers guide.

You can install the driver by downloading, extracting and running this executable installer and then connecting the device to the USB port. It should show under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section of device manager.
https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21228_Setup.zip

Then, you can use the examples in this technical note as a starting point for your own application.
https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/TechnicalNotes/TN_167_FIFO_Basics.pdf

Best Regards, FTDI Community

Rajesh@sys

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »

thank you for the reply  :)

i have installed visual studio in my PC.

from the TN_167 FIFO BASICS document  i have chosen "Synchronous FIFO Read d2xx"  Example CODE and i have made the application on visual studio.
and started debug. in command window i have seen output as"0x0"
that i got to known device is in reset . so
 i powered on the device my device

then i again used debug option.
in command prompt window i got the values which are given in code.

with this i got to known that my device UM232H is detected and it is communicating with visual studio.

BUT, i have to use UM232H with FPGA. in my project .
i am transfering data from FPGA to UM232H. for FPGA i am using ISE.

my question is
1) how can i fix D2XX driver to work completely in synchronous fifo mode.
                                                           to use only ISE to for the transmission of data ?

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »

Hi Rajesh,

I'm afraid the driver can't be changed to make it start in this mode. You would need to make calls to our driver to set the mode. Likewise, other applications might not have D2xx API calls for reading and writing and so even if in sync FIFO mode, another application not using the D2xx driver calls would not be able to read and write data.

To use the device in this mode with other types of IDE, you would either need to use D2xx within that environment and make driver calls (e.g. if a D2xx wrapper exists for ISE) or to make a small Visual Studio application which talks to the D2xx driver and sits between it and ISE.

What kind of API does ISE provide for device such as FT232H?  If it only provides a COM port, then the other modes such as UART or async FIFO could be used (selected by EEPROM and not by SetBitMode) but the virtual COM can't work with sync FIFO.  Other modes which are selected by SetBitMode would need D2xx in ISE or you to write an intermediate filter layer.

Rajesh@sys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 09:29:40 AM »

hi,

from the TN_167 FIFO BASICS document  i have chosen "Synchronous FIFO Read d2xx"  Example CODE and i have made the application on visual studio.

DONE.
device showing some values which are written in code.
but

how can i get know the device is configured in 245 synchronous mode ?

and when and how 60Mhz clock will generates ??

Rajesh@sys

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »

sorry

from the TN_167 FIFO BASICS document I have chosen "Synchronous FIFO WRITE d2xx"   CODE.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 02:31:31 PM »

Hi Rajesh,

You should see the clock being generated by the FT232H once you have called the FT_SetBitMode to set sync FIFO mode. Please check the return value from all D2xx calls to make sure you get FT_OK (for success) if you don't see the clock signal.

You should have EEPROM set for 245 FIFO mode (this is equivalent to async FIFO) and then use FT_SetBitMode to move to sync FIFO.

Regards, FTDI Community

Rajesh@sys

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 07:45:35 AM »

Hi,
Thank you for the suggestions.
UM232H is generating 60Mhz clock.

But as I earlier mentioned, I have to interface this device with  FPGA, for this can you provide D2XX drivers in VERILOG/VHDL language instead of C++.

so that,UM232H device can be configured to synchronous fifo mode by setting Set_Bit_Mode=0x40 using ISE.

Can you provide us D2XX drivers files in VERILOG/VHDL, if available ?

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 03:09:08 PM »

Hi Rajesh,

I'm afraid the drivers are not available in Verilog or VHDL. The device always requires a SetBitMode call to change the mode. In addition to sending the SetBitMode, the ISE application would also need to perform reads and writes via the D2xx drivers, and so your intended application would only be possible if the ISE has support for FTDI devices built in already or has a plug-in from the manufacturer to support FTDI devices. If ISE does not have this, writing your own data transfer application in Visual Studio instead for example would be required.

Rajesh@sys

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »

Hi,
thank you for previous  reply.

I am getting 60mhz clock. at ACBUS5 .

but the CLKOUT is triangular wave,peack to peack is 2.68 v. please check the attachment.

and please let me know what could be the problem ? how can I get square ?

why the voltage is too low. though operating voltage or supply voltage is 5V the output should be 3.3V.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 10:13:30 AM »

Hello,

The signal may be degraded by rounding of edges and lowering of apparent amplitude if you have long connections or due to your scope probe. We recommend to use a high-frequency low-capacitance probe to measure the signal to ensure that what is shown on the scope is correct and that the probe itself does not affect the waveform by adding capacitance.

Some probes also have different characteristics depending on which mode they are in (e.g. 1x vs 10x). The probe used should have a frequency rating several times greater than the signal being measured and so generally a 200MHz or 300MHz probe is needed to see this signal accurately. Please check the datasheet of your probe to ensure that the 60MHz is well within its range.

Rajesh@sys

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 07:58:23 AM »

thanks for the previous suggestions

As i indicated earlier,

we are using  FPGA based hardware to write the data in UM232H(tool ISE). After some no of writes TXE is gone low to high, Hence, we are NOT able write further.
our understanding is that , Sense the visual studio/laptop  does NOT do fifo read operation. The TXE remains high,
our current issue is
 we are not able to read back the data from UM232h/FIFO via COM PORT. because we are using synchronous fifo mode(using ONLY D2XX).

<
FYI
so for configuring UM232H in synch. fifo mode and reading we are using VISUAL STUDIO 2017.>

i want to know

1)how does visual studio knows when to read the data from fifo.
                is it based on any bit of the software register (or) any hardware signal from board. (such as fifo full)—it is not accessible by the software

3)how to access read operation from visual studio.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 11:53:24 AM »

Hello,

Yes, TxE# tells your FPGA that there is space in the buffer and if you keep writing data to the FIFO without reading at the PC side, then the buffer will fill up and the device will tell you to stop.

Your application in Visual Studio should check for data being available using FT_GetStatus or FT_GetQueueStatus as shown in the document below. If there is any data available (RxBytes > 0) then you would read the data with FT_Read.

When you write the data to the FIFO from the FPGA, you will find that FT_GetStatus/FT_GetQueueStatus show the number of bytes. You can use a loop in the application in Visual Studio which keeps checking for data and reads any data available and puts it in a buffer in the application.

You can find the example code in the document below.

https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/TechnicalNotes/TN_167_FIFO_Basics.pdf