FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: From EVE Screen Designer to Eclipse... and back?  (Read 10374 times)

scorpioprise

• View Profile
From EVE Screen Designer to Eclipse... and back?
« on: November 27, 2018, 04:44:56 PM »

Hi, I'm new in using FTDI chips, but I'm building a custom display with FT901 and FT812/FT813.
As far as I've understood, once I export from ESD to Eclipse there is no way to get it back into ESD. Is that right?

The matter is that the GUI i'm working on will be very very complex, so I have to try and rebuild many times. And I have to add my layer of custom code in it.

Say it has a serial (UART0) interface working under the display interface, that can operate both indipendent speaking with the can-bus interface.
So both will call methods to write and read the can-bus.

First step is altering the code, ok, that's fine.
But if I have to add interface elements? How can I get it back into the ESD?

Otherwise I have to use the mighty power of git to catch the changed GUI things and keep the handcoded ones?

Hope you can help me understand.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: From EVE Screen Designer to Eclipse... and back?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 04:41:14 PM »

Hello,

Correct, once you export from ESD to Eclipse there is no way to get it back into ESD.

ESD includes a lot of framework code to implement functionality, and as such the code output is very ESD specific. The tool is intended for use by those who have very little to no programming experience. I would suggest that it would be far more productive for you to look at our Sample Applications and programmers guide. Thus being able to eliminate the ESD code from the equation and work directly with the Display List code to drive the FT81x.

Please take some time to look at the following examples in either Visual Studio or the FT9xx Toolchain:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/SoftwareExamples/FT800_Projects.htm

You will also find the EVE platform guide useful:
https://brtchip.com/wp-content/uploads/Support/Documentation/Application_Notes/ICs/EVE/AN_391-EVE-Platform-Guide.pdf

The ESD4 functions are only available for the display aspects of the application. At the moment, you would need to edit the code after exporting it in order to pass values from other external peripherals as well.
You can use the method shown in 'Add User Functions' in the ESD user guide or just edit the code directly after export.
One example of interaction between ESD and other MCU features is the Blink LED demo provided with the ESD software. This allows the GUI created to interact with GPIO on the FT900.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

Kaetemi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 09:33:33 PM »

You can manually create an Eclipse project under a subdirectory of the ESD project, and link in all the required source files into the new project.

That will allow you to use the same source base from both ESD and Eclipse at the same time, with some manual project synchronization.

Copy the generated one into a subfolder called Project, edit in notepad, set up the paths to files in the project to PARENT-1-PROJECT_LOC, and use absolute paths for source files that are in the Libraries folder of your installation.

The #ifndef ESD_SIMULATION macro can be used to exclude any platform specific code, and put testing stubs in place instead.

scorpioprise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 05:32:41 PM »

Thank you, Kaetemi, I'll give a try to your solution, when I can move again with ESD project.

Can You explain a little the structure?

ESD_Project (top folder)
|-- Project( where exporting ) (subfolder level 1)
|-- EclipseProjectSrc (subfolder level 1)

Is your idea?