FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: USB Printer emulator  (Read 15161 times)

FTDIEager

• View Profile
USB Printer emulator
« on: October 04, 2017, 03:17:42 PM »

I need a device which emulates a USB printer (any relevant VID/PID) and sends the data (which is sent from the USB host to, what it believes to be a printer) to a PC by either a physical COM port or USB virtual COM port.
I have tried USB-COM232-PLUS-1, but it seems like only VID/PID etc. can be programmed, not the device class.
How should I proceed?

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: USB Printer emulator
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »

Hello,

Welcome to the Forum,

I'm afraid our USB-serial bridging devices such as the FT232R don't support other USB classes and so could not be programmed to appear as a USB printer. A few applications may still support sending print data to a COM port as some printers (e.g. label printers) still connect over RS232.

If you are looking to send data (in a text file for example) from one PC to the other, you might also be able to re-direct that data to a COM port using an application such as a terminal program (send file option) or by writing a small program which parses the file and sends it out over the COM port. In this case, you could use a USB-COM232-PLUS-1 on the sending PC and another on the receiving PC and link them with a null-modem RS232 cable.

There is also a USB-NULL-MODEM cable with two FT232Rs inside which performs the same function provided that you only need a couple of meters of cabling.
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Cables/DS_USBNMC.pdf

Hope this helps,
FTDI Community