FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: FT_Read method for SPI communication  (Read 2151 times)

fhsakaci

• View Profile
FT_Read method for SPI communication
« on: February 29, 2024, 12:11:55 PM »

Hello, I want to set up SPI communication on a Linux Jetson kit using the FT4232H chip with Bit-Bang. First, I installed the necessary structure, and I can send data properly via SPI using FT_Write. However, I encounter errors when reading incoming data using FT_Read. Also, the reading process takes a long time when I clear the FIFO each time with FT_Purge. What would be the best method for reading data over SPI? How can I read the MISO pin accurately at each rising edge of the clock signal for SPI?

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FT_Read method for SPI communication
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 02:06:05 PM »

Hi,

We don't have any references for doing SPI communication using Bit-Bang. I would recommend that you use the MPSSE for SPI communication instead.   

To use I2C/SPI as a master (no slave functionality), see AN_135 MPSSE Basics and our existing MPSSE Example projects:

MPSSE Examples

There are two options to use I2C/SPI modes with the MPSSE engine:

a.   Use LibMPSSE libraries. Example code is provided with the download. Source code is also provided.
b.   Use D2XX drivers direct. Example code is shown at I2C / SPI. AN_108 Command Processor For MPSSE and MCU Host Bus Emulation Modes provides the necessary information.

Option b is the best option to use the D2XX drivers direct (no dependency on libMPSSE library).

Also please also note, SPI modes 1 and 3 are not supported with our MPSSE engine.
So please check that your SPI device doesn’t work with these modes.

You can find all the referenced documentation above, here