FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: UMFT602A Example Using Cyclone IV in DE2-115 Kit  (Read 9096 times)

GabPGomes

• View Profile
UMFT602A Example Using Cyclone IV in DE2-115 Kit
« on: April 28, 2023, 10:02:41 PM »

Hi, this topic is not a question, it's just a report of what I've done. I hope someone finds this useful.

The UMFT602A Example was designed for a Cyclone V GX Starter Kit, but all I had in my office was a DE2-115 with a Cyclone IV FPGA. I've ported the code to the DE2. Here are the steps I've followed:

1 - Leave the UMFT602A jumpers and configuration untouched: 2.5 V, FT600 protocol. etc;
2 - Change the DE2 board IO Voltages using the respective jumpers. Mine was configured to 3V3 so I changed it to 2V5;
3 - Connect the FT602 module to the FPGA board with the HSMC connector, then use a USB 3.0 cable to connect the module and the PC. The USB 2.0 cable didn't work for me;
4 - In the Quartus example, upgrade the IPs and change everything in the project to Cyclone IV E;
5 - The PLL used in the Cyclone V FPGA is not compatible with Cyclone IV ones. I had to change the IP and use 2 Cyclone IV PLLs in order to achieve the same outputs. I had to add a second clock input pin as well so that the synthesizer wouldn't give me timing warnings;
6 -  In Quartus, edit the .qsf file to change the pinout. Check the "DE2-115 User Manual" and the "Cyclone V GX Starter Kit User Manual" to do that;

Related Documents:

FTDI:
- AN_434 FT602_UVC_Bus_Master_Sample
- AN_435 FT602 UVC Chip Configuration Guide
- AN_377 Altera FPGA FIFO master Programming Guide

Altera/Intel:
- DE2-115 User Manual
- Cyclone V GX Starter Kit User Manual
- Cyclone IV Device Handbook, Volume 1 (For the PLLs)
- Other docs about Altera's IPs like "altera_pll" (Cyclone V) and "ALTPLL" (Cyclone IV)