FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: VCP driver on macOS 11  (Read 117141 times)

kalle

VCP driver on macOS 11
« on: September 10, 2020, 12:20:41 PM »

The current VCP driver can't be installed on macOS 11 beta 6 as Apple seems to consider it a "legacy system extension" (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210999). Is there any plans to provide a driver that works on macOS 11?

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: VCP driver on macOS 11
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:57:48 PM »

Hello,

We are currently working on a .dext version of the driver to be compatible with the newer versions of macOS.

However in macOS 10 Apple distributed a VCP driver built into the OS which works for all standard FTDI devices, this was called AppleUSBFTDI.kext pre-Catalina and AppleUSBFTDI.dext in Catalina. I haven’t had a chance to look at macOS 11 yet, but I believe the inbuilt apple driver should still be included.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

on8mc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 07:25:13 PM »

I use two (2) devices with a FTDI chip. An RT Systems USB-62C cable and a Microham USB Interface III.

The RT Systems USB-62C cable works fine with the built-in .dext in macOS 11 Big Sur Beta 6. The Microham USB Interface III doesn't.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 07:41:19 PM by on8mc »

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 03:43:59 PM »

Hello,

I am unfamiliar with the Microham USB Interface III, could you share its details from the hardware monitor similar to the attached screenshot?

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

on8mc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 05:57:45 PM »

Here it is (in macOS Catalina):

in macOS 11 Big Sur:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 06:08:06 PM by on8mc »

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 10:45:48 AM »

Hello,

I see that your device is using the Product ID (PID): 0xEEEF with our default FTDI Vendor ID (VID): 0x0403.
This VID/PID combination is included in our VCP driver (FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext), however it is not included in the inbuilt Apple VCP driver (AppleUSBTDI.dext).

Unfortunately at this time we do not have a .dext version driver available for macOS 11 Big Sur, but we hope to have this available shortly.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

James

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 02:44:40 PM »

Hi there, we are also looking forward to the .dext driver version.

We have a few products using the default FTDI vendor ID with our own PID (granted by FTDI some years back). Will our VID/PID combination also work in the upcoming .dext driver?

Thanks

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 03:56:28 PM »

Hello,

We have a few products using the default FTDI vendor ID with our own PID (granted by FTDI some years back). Will our VID/PID combination also work in the upcoming .dext driver?

If your VID/PID combination is currently included in our macOS VCP driver's Info.plist file then yes it will be included in the .dext version of the driver.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

Kimball

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »

Big Sur is officially being released today, and there is still no VCP driver available. We have thousands of customers out there with FTDI devices that use a custom VID/PID who are inevitably going to be updating to Big Sur, rendering our equipment completely unusable.

I know FTDI has been working on an update for Big Sur for a while, but can we get a timeline for when it will actually be available? I'll be happy to test a beta version if you have it ready now...

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 11:18:30 AM »

Hello,

I have chased the development team up for a relapse schedule for the new .dext driver.
When a beta is available I will post this for community user testing.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

jcsmedley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 07:35:43 PM »

Any updates?

Thanks,
Jeff

Superboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 02:51:52 AM »

It is now 5 months since the first developer beta of Big Sur, why is there still no updated driver? Can there be at least an update on how far along it is, 10%? 90%?

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 02:17:18 PM »

Hello

It is now 5 months since the first developer beta of Big Sur, why is there still no updated driver? Can there be at least an update on how far along it is, 10%? 90%?

Are you using a device with a non default VID/PID combination?

As far as I am aware our developers are still waiting on Apple clarifying some questions on .dext development. Unfortunately I do not have an updated schedule for release at this point. But this is a top priority for us and I will update when I have any new information.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

Superboy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 02:49:31 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a FT2232HL, and the Apple driver returns "SetTTY (fd 5): ioctl failed: Invalid argument" when trying to use channel 0 with screen, and a similar error through Python:

Code: [Select]
File "/Users/user/.espressif/python_env/idf4.2_py3.9_env/lib/python3.9/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 272, in open
    self._reconfigure_port(force_update=True)
File "/Users/user/.espressif/python_env/idf4.2_py3.9_env/lib/python3.9/site-packages/serial/serialposix.py", line 435, in _reconfigure_port
    termios.tcsetattr(
termios.error: (22, 'Invalid argument')

Strangely, trying to use channel 1 sometimes doesn't report an error though I can't test whether serial actually works as its pins aren't exposed appropriately on this board - they're usually for JTAG.

Another reason I need the FTDI drivers too is so that I can edit the Info.plist and prevent the serial driver from being loaded on the JTAG channel. A workaround before was to unload the Apple (and FTDI) driver, start the debugger and load the driver - which prevents the driver enumerating the JTAG channel. Loading and unloading the Apple dext seems to be unreliable at best right now, and even then it doesn't help with the ioctl error.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 03:59:36 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for the details.
Just to confirm you are seeing this error only on big sur with the inbuilt apple driver?

Best Regards,
FTDI Community
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5