FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: VCP driver on macOS 11  (Read 117172 times)

kalle

Re: VCP driver on macOS 11
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 02:47:54 PM »

FYI also to this thread: I've tried to ask in Apple forums whether it would be possible to somehow utilize Apple's dext driver for FTDI devices with custom PID, but haven't got any answers...  :(

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/659891

lelebass2001

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 03:01:16 PM »

Hi,
we are in a similar situation here, we currently use libftd2xx.dylib with our VID/PID. Do you plan to release a libftd2xx.dext?

Best Regards,
Daniele

Hello

It is now 5 months since the first developer beta of Big Sur, why is there still no updated driver? Can there be at least an update on how far along it is, 10%? 90%?

Are you using a device with a non default VID/PID combination?

As far as I am aware our developers are still waiting on Apple clarifying some questions on .dext development. Unfortunately I do not have an updated schedule for release at this point. But this is a top priority for us and I will update when I have any new information.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 03:15:09 PM »

Hello,

The D2XX driver is a dynamic library file on macOS and is not related to the kernel/driver extension migration currently happening with the VCP driver.

What issues are you seeing with the D2XX driver?

Hi,
we are in a similar situation here, we currently use libftd2xx.dylib with our VID/PID. Do you plan to release a libftd2xx.dext?

Best Regards,
Daniele

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

lelebass2001

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 03:30:49 PM »

You are right, my mistake.

I do not want to hijack this thread, but the question is if the libftd2xx.dylib can run under Apple ARM architecture. As far as I know the current 1.4.4 dylib has only x86_64 support.

Best Regards,
Daniele

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 04:33:06 PM »

Hello,

My understanding is that the Rosetta 2 binary translator will allow for x86_64 libraries and applications to run on the new Apple M1 processors with minimal performance loss. But I will raise this with the developers and see if they can clarify.

We of course intend to rebuild the libftd2xx.dylib for the ARM platform, but we are currently concentrating on the VCP .dext transition.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

Superboy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2020, 07:01:22 PM »

Hello,

Thanks for the details.
Just to confirm you are seeing this error only on big sur with the inbuilt apple driver?

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

Yes, I can't load the FTDI driver at all.

I reinstalled Big Sur and initially it worked, but it has broken again. I think it may have something to do with VMWare Fusion, as it seemed to break when that was running. However I have since deleted all traces of Fusion (including kexts) and the problem persists.

The attachment shows the message that it has loaded the driver but then trying to access the serial ports with
Code: [Select]
screen again shows
Code: [Select]
SetTTY (fd 5): ioctl failed: Invalid argument.

Quite often attaching the FT2232 results in an enumeration error shown in the second attachment. Does Apple write their driver independently of yourselves? If so, i'll submit a big report to them.

Thanks.

Superboy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2020, 07:03:11 PM »

FYI also to this thread: I've tried to ask in Apple forums whether it would be possible to somehow utilize Apple's dext driver for FTDI devices with custom PID, but haven't got any answers...  :(

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/659891

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere you can subclass the Apple driver with a VIP/PID of your own and the Apple driver will load. I can't help you with exactly how though I'm afraid!

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 01:59:47 PM »

Hello,

Yes that is correct, Apple develop their VCP driver independently from our VCP driver.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

macsimski

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2020, 11:13:37 AM »

Hi All,

Hardware producer using ft232RL in our products here. we are getting more and more reports of people unable to use their devices after upgrading to Big Sur.

-amount of chips used: about 1k.
-location of devices: worldwide.

question: for what type of devices is the new driver from apple enabled? any specific product ID? we are using 0403:6001

would it be an idea that you as ftdichip aks apple to open up their driver?
It looks kinda unprofessional to me that a third party has a driver earlier than the producer of the chip

Is there anything i can do to help? I'm loosing customers!

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2020, 02:01:28 PM »

Hello,

The inbuilt apple driver (AppleUSBFTDI.dext) should work with any default FTDI VID/PID combination.
The FT232R default VID is 0x0403 and its PID is 0x6001, this definition is included in the Info.plist file for the AppleUSBFTDI.dext.

On macOS 10.15 we had noticed that a Wacom Tablet driver was preventing both our VCP driver and apples VCP driver from attaching to devices and providing a COM port in the '/dev' folder. This may still be the case for some of your customers on Big Sur, however it could be an issue with the Apple driver itself.

I will contact the driver development team to see if they can request Apple to open up their driver, however I cannot guarantee this will be possible.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

macsimski

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2020, 04:34:04 PM »

good point.

Another thing i was thinking about: what happens with the old kext if the system is updated from lets say 10.15 to 11.0? is it completely disabled and ignored, or somehow still claiming things it shouldn't. we had problems with that earlier when 10.15 came out.

Unfortunately I am not able to play around with mac os 11.0 Big Sur as I am completely linux based (besides a small virtual windows box to flash the FT232R.)

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 10:22:52 AM »

Hello,

The .kext version of the VCP driver will not load on macOS 11 and shouldn't be inadvertently claiming devices connected to the machine.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

n0uk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2020, 08:24:40 PM »

It is also identical to that shown below in at least one of their older products too, the Microham MicroKeyer II.

I have the same inability to use that device until the .dext VCP driver is available for Big Sur.

Chris, N0UK

Here it is (in macOS Catalina):

in macOS 11 Big Sur:

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2020, 03:22:34 PM »

Hello,

I've doubled checked the above Product ID in the info.plist file and it looks like there are no special settings being used for this device. As such programming the device to use its Default product ID would all you to use it with the inbuilt Apple VCP driver. Are you aware of which FTDI product this device uses?

I've had an update from the developers, and they are currently working on resolve signature issues with the .dext driver package.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

on8mc

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2020, 02:49:21 PM »

I've doubled checked the above Product ID in the info.plist file and it looks like there are no special settings being used for this device. As such programming the device to use its Default product ID would all you to use it with the inbuilt Apple VCP driver. Are you aware of which FTDI product this device uses?

Are you sure? I received the following comment from microHAM:

Herwig,

Yes, you can change PID using tools FTDI provides, but than interfaces will not work with our Windows Router software anymore and it will be violation of FTDI rules and warranty for interface. I recommend you to wait until FTDI releases driver for Big Sur.

Apple is causing issue by creating own driver for default chip PID and breaking devices usability for manufacturers who play by rules, hope FTDI will backup their customers quickly.

Default chip PID is reserved only for experimenting, small batch or for certified FTDI OEM partner. Neither Anytone, RT System or Kenwood is FTDI official OEM partner. Using default PID in non OEM commercial product is violation of rules. Only owner of VID (FTDI) can assign PID to particular manufacturer/product or product range. Same VID/PID cannot be used by different manufacturers on different devices for different functionality, that's basic rule set by USB-IF authority (usb.org) and that's the reason why we have asked FTDI for assigning range of custom PIDs and using them for many years.

73 Jozef OM7ZZ
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5