FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: FT4222 more than 8 bit data frame / python drivers  (Read 9539 times)

LennonNM

• View Profile
FT4222 more than 8 bit data frame / python drivers
« on: January 15, 2021, 02:15:34 PM »

Hi, I'm trying to make an interface in python, first of all, if someone knows of a package (other than python-ft4222) or an alternative library to Libft4222 from FTDI (they already answered me that this library does not have the functionality I require), please tell me.

For the frame data, I require to communicate with a ADS1118 temperature sensor, which requires minimum 16 bit data frame, as told by FTDI reps, Libft4222 (therefore, also python-ft4222) only operates at 8 bit data frame, so I'm getting a "gap" in between each byte. Does someone know a workaround to get at least 16 continuous bits?

Thanks in advance.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FT4222 more than 8 bit data frame / python drivers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 11:32:41 AM »

Hello,

Although the FT4222H uses a data byte of 8 bits, most SPI peripherals can still use this so long as you keep CS asserted as they still see this as one transfer.

It looks like this particular device has some kind of timeout if the clock sits low for more than 28ms but beyond that was there any other reason why it could not accept multiple bytes so long as CS is kept asserted?

MPSSE (for example the FT232H) would have been another option but can only do SPI modes 0 and 2 and it looks like this ADC may need mode 1.

Best Regards, FTDI Community

LennonNM

• View Profile
Re: FT4222 more than 8 bit data frame / python drivers
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 11:06:27 PM »

Thanks for the answer, it was indeed a timing issue, it works well now, no problems with the data frame.