FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: UM245R baud rate  (Read 12938 times)

johnlon

• View Profile
UM245R baud rate
« on: January 18, 2021, 02:00:58 PM »

Hi where can I find documentation on defaults such as BUAD rate for this device.
By experimentation I was able to discover that the device worked ok at 115k but at 9600 which was the default for my serial terminal I got the usual '?' character instead.
I am using the VCP (com port) approach to talk to it.

Curiously I was able to transmit a single character at a time from the PC to the device over USB/VCP when using 9600, but was unable to communicate back to the PC from the UM245R without setting the serial terminal to 115k. I'm not clear why this might be.

But, more importantly where is the documentaiton covering such things as the speed / marity etc etc that need to be set.

Also is it possible to configure the UM245R to use different setting if needed (out of curiosity).

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: UM245R baud rate
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 11:07:06 AM »

Hello,

The FT245R of which the UM245R is based upon provides a parallel FIFO interface as a COM port on the host machine, however as this IC implements a FIFO interface the baud rate settings are ignored.

It is curious that with your chosen terminal emulator the behaviour seems to vary with baud rate setting, what terminal are you using? And have you tried any other terminal emulators?

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

johnlon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 12:33:09 AM »

I tried both putty and the Adruino IDE serial monitor.
Both were receiving "?" as far as I could tell.
I put putty into logging mode and it just logged a load of bytes equivalent to ?.
This was for a few hours and I hadn't a clue how to make it work.

So then I saw someone mention 115k on a forum somewhere and tried that , and magically I was able to transmit back up to the PC, it had started working.

I then tried a faster speed in putty and that worked too.
So I saw the response here and then went back and tried 9600 as I had tried and failed using previously, and to my surprise it seemed to be working still.

I have no idea what happened.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 12:41:26 PM »

Hello,

Thank you for the update, I'm glad it is working at lower baud rates now.
As mentioned the baud rate setting shouldn't have any affect on the FIFO interface, but if this issue reappears please let us know so we can investigate further.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

johnlon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 12:57:34 PM »

YEah it look like the baud rate is irrelevent - I have no idea why I was getting '?' anyway - thanks for the support
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 06:38:31 PM by johnlon »