FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: About using of RAM_G freely  (Read 7615 times)

EnsAltun

• View Profile
About using of RAM_G freely
« on: May 10, 2021, 11:20:55 AM »

Hello ,

I am using FT810 and 7" TFT on my project. And sometimes i need a few photos on background. But as you know FT810 has 1024KB RAM_G so new photos and fonts fill RAM_G. Now I am using 540KB(%52 of RAM_G). But is this safe? I mean what happens if i fill up whole RAM_G with photos? Does working of FT810 get slower or does a bug occur on normal operations? I wonder your opinions about this. 

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: About using of RAM_G freely
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 01:51:30 PM »

Hi,

You can use RAM_G without affecting the speed or performance of the chip as the display list is created in RAM_DL which is separate. The amount of RAM_G used wont cause the device to slow down. In some cases, using an image instead of a complex series of shapes may be beneficial as it can save on RAM_DL entries.

If you load compressed images, there is one area (the top 42K bytes) which is used as a scratch area by the decoder and so it is best to avoid this if you expect to use CMD_LOADIMAGE etc. to load PNG images.

Best Regards, FTDI Community

EnsAltun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 05:11:05 PM »

Thank you for kindly response.
So except using compressed images, i can use whole RAM_G(1MB) freely and fill up with fonts etc, right?  Because i will load a few fonts with various sizes and want to be sure that it wont be problem for me. 

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 05:28:35 PM »

Hi,

Yes that's correct, the RAM_G is just for loading assets like fonts and images and the other RAM areas (like RAM_DL, RAM_CMD and RAM_REGISTERS) are all separate areas of the memory map. Therefore the fullness of RAM_G won't cause EVE to slow down or cause it to work incorrectly.

Best Regards, FTDI Community