FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: FT260 - UART communication  (Read 9074 times)

_adam_

• View Profile
FT260 - UART communication
« on: June 12, 2021, 08:29:10 AM »

Hello,
I have a FT260 chip in my project (connected via USB to a computer with widnows ), I would like to send it via uart interface, HID reports. but i don't know what are the UART settings (baud rate etc). Could you please tell me how to send hid reports by uart?
The diagrams I use, are taken from the datasheet.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FT260 - UART communication
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 10:17:38 AM »

Hello Adam   
You should look at section 5.3 (page 22 & 23) of the data sheet for your part.   Baud rate settings etc are dependant on the operating clock frequency of your application.   

Thanks
FTDI Community

_adam_

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 08:22:10 PM »

Thanks for the answer but, i don't know which frequency is currently set. I describe my case:
I want to connect FT260 to computer and start sending HID reports (ft260 receives reports form uC by UART interface). I want to use FT260 without any external applications in widnows. Can you tell me whether it is possible?  How can I set uart settings in ft260?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 12:00:20 PM by _adam_ »

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 04:40:34 PM »

Hello,

FT260 must be used with either LibFT260 or by accessing raw HID class commands using an application running on a PC.

AN_394 User Guide for FT260 and AN_395 User Guide for LibFT260 cover both of those scenarios.
Code examples are provided with the LibFT260 library.
If you take a look at AN_395, FT260_UART_SetBaudRate API can be used to set the baud rate.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

_adam_

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 05:34:38 PM »

So,
if I understand correctly, I need to have the PC application running all the time to be able to send HID reports? It is not possible to just connect FT260 and start sending data (via UART or I2C)? There is another chip that can work without app?

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 03:27:34 PM »

Hello,

Yes, you are correct, you can use LibFT260 or access the device using raw HID class commands but an application must be running on a PC to control the FT260.

If you want a device to act like a keyboard HID class device per say, then see FT90x or FT93x from our sister company Bridgetek which is a programmable MCU.

Take a look at AN 360 FT9xx Example Applications and the USBD Example HID example. This particular example sends fixed characters, but you could modify the code to bridge to the UART side.

We provide FT9xx Development Modules and a free FT9xx Toolchain for custom application development.