FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: FT4232 as I2C Slave?  (Read 10623 times)

LoyalServant

• View Profile
FT4232 as I2C Slave?
« on: April 02, 2018, 04:52:37 PM »

Greetings all,

I have a unique application where I need to convert serial and I2C to USB.
It's an odd application where commands are sent over serial and data is received back via I2C. (I didn't design it!)
So, the I2C interface needs to be a slave. The MCU on the other end is the master.
I could certainly use a microcontroller for this but then I have to deal with USB, drivers, and other issues where this appears to be a more plug and play solution.
Then all I need to deal with is the software for the most part.

What I don't see is any information / API to configure the device as an I2C slave.
Is this supported on this device?

If not, any suggestions?
Thanks!

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FT4232 as I2C Slave?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 09:34:37 AM »

Hello,

The FT4232H can only be an I2C Master unfortunately but our FT200XD or FT201X would be a good solution. Please find details below. The devices both offer the same USB-I2C functionality but differ in the IC package size and number of CBUS lines.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT200XD.html
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT201X.html

We also have development modules available which can be found at the bottom of these product pages above.

These devices are I2C peripherals and can be used via either VCP or D2xx applications on the PC side.  You would set the I2C address in the MTP memory in the chip using FT_Prog and can then have your Master perform I2C reads and writes to transfer the data.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community