FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: Getting SPI to work on VNC2  (Read 8641 times)

Dr.Lightning

• View Profile
Getting SPI to work on VNC2
« on: August 24, 2022, 02:31:39 PM »

I'm getting conflicting information regarding the SPI on the VNC2 (32-pin).  Some doc suggests crazy 13 clocks/byte stuff.  Other doc suggests 8 clocks/byte as is normal.

Does anybody out there have DIRECT experience using the SPI on the VNC2?

Also, this Full Duplex / Half Duplex / Unmanaged mode stuff is "new".  It's NOT normal SPI.  Normal SPI is I guess what this FTDI VNC2 doc would call unmanaged.  It ***ought*** to be possible to simply exchange 8-bit words using 8 clock bits within a SS low period, and exchange an even multiple 8-bit words consecutively with an even multiple of 8 clocks within a single SS low period.  (Chip Datasheet: https://www.ftdichip.com/old2020/Support/Documents/DataSheets/ICs/DS_vinculum-II.pdf     Please See Figures 6.12, 6.3, 6.5, 6.6, 6.7 in that order!

Does anybody out there have DIRECT experience with this?

At this point I don't care at all what V2DAP or any other FTDI firmware does.  I want to know what the actual hardware does.  Does the actual hardware do the normal multiple-decades old SPI stuff, or was the chip hardware designer a bit messed up in the head, thus making their SPI incompatible with almost everything else out there?  (Sorry, my frustration is leaking out.)  It's a shame that only a single figure in the chip doc shows the actual SPI clock timing...

Thanks very much.