FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: Heads up: LibFT4222-v1.4.5.zip contains a "binary" ftd2xx.h file  (Read 16834 times)

allenhuffman

• Mostly harmless.
    • View Profile
    • Sub-Etha Software

I just learned there is a LibFT4222-v1.4.5.zip out, so I was trying to use it. There are two header files included:

• LibFT4222-v1.4.5\imports\ftd2xx\ftd2xx.h
  • LibFT4222-v1.4.5.zip\LibFT4222-v1.4.5\imports\LibFT4222\inc\LibFT4222.h

My IDE could open the second file opens just fine, but the first one is rejected as being a binary file ("Cannot open binary files as text files"). Using a hex editor, I can see that the ftd2xx.h file does appear to be non-ASCII. It has a zero byte every other character, so I am guessing it was saved out as something like unicode (whatever format uses two bytes per character, I guess).

Compilers may or may not have an issue with that (I do not know what the current C standard says regarding file formats). The editor I am using will not open it. (And even saving it as a .txt or copy/pasting in to another editor and saving retains the 0 -- I guess it's a standard file format Windows supports).

Just a heads-up on this. I have reported it to FTDI, and I am going to either write a quick script to convert the file, or find some tool to do it for me.

Cheers...

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Heads up: LibFT4222-v1.4.5.zip contains a "binary" ftd2xx.h file
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 04:27:37 PM »

Hello,

You can also reference the latest version of ftd2xx.h in the latest 2.12.36.4 driver files.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

allenhuffman

• Mostly harmless.
    • View Profile
    • Sub-Etha Software
Re: Heads up: LibFT4222-v1.4.5.zip contains a "binary" ftd2xx.h file
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 02:47:50 PM »

Hello,

You can also reference the latest version of ftd2xx.h in the latest 2.12.36.4 driver files.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

E-mail support pointed me to this, and the file contained inside (50K versus 101K) does appear to be in a valid format for use with GCC, etc.