FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: FT82x  (Read 91954 times)

armadafg

• View Profile
FT82x
« on: May 15, 2018, 11:02:13 PM »

in English:
Hello FTDI  :) ,
I am a user of the excellent gamduino2 and its ft810 and I also use the ft811 with teensy3.6. I love your chips and I'm not the only one. But we face limitations that its problematic for my projects for example the limitation of the number of instrution by images (about 2000) or 1Mbits of VRAM, I would like to be able to have the possibility of l'etante by external VRAM . I would like to know if a ft82x was in preparation or possible?

En francais (l'original)
Bonjour FTDI :) ,
Je suis un utilisateur de l'excellent gamduino2 et de son ft810 et j'utilise egalement le ft811 avec des teensy3.6. J'aime beaucoup vos chip et je suis pas le seule. Mais nous faisons face a des limitation qui son problematique pour mes projet par exemple la limitation du nombres d'instrution par images (environ 2000) ou des 1Mbits de VRAM, j'aimerait bocoup avoir la possibiliter de l'etante par de la VRAM externe. J'aimerait savoire si un ft82x etait en preparation ou envisagable ?

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FT82x
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:01:22 AM »

Hello,

Our upcoming BT815/6 series of EVE ICs also include 1MByte of internal graphics RAM. However these new ICs include support for external flash memory which can be used to store/offload graphics elements such as images, custom fonts and widgets from the integrated RAM.
You can find out more about the BT815/6 at the following page:
http://brtchip.com/bt81x/

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

armadafg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 07:53:27 PM »

eng:
brtchip is FTDI ? My biggest problem comes from the 2000 instruction and nothing tells me that the BT81x will solve this problem. And stay to see what the VRAM bus will give you
fra:
brtchip c'est FTDI ? Mon plus gros probleme vient des 2000 instruction et rien me dit que le BT81x resoudra ce probleme. Et reste à voire ce que vas donner le bus de VRAM

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:07:00 PM »

Hello,

The new series of BT81x ICs will have the same amount of VRAM as its predecessors.
We have some examples of what is possible with this at the following:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/SoftwareExamples/FT800_Projects.htm

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

Rudolph

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 03:19:45 PM »

Adding to this, the 2000 entries in the display list is not the only limitation I am wondering about.

I did some profiling and found that VERTEX2F is a huge bottleneck because of the odd positions the X corrdinate has to be shifted in.
This is a major pain when working with calculated coordinates.
Especially with 8 Bit controllers which kind of are the designated target for the EVE series.
But this also has to have some impact on 32 bit controllers.
I would apreciate a command that at the cost of one bit resolution has the X coordinate not shifted.
Or heck, make that two bits shorter and 1 pixel resolution by default, that would be a range of +/- 4096 to set.

I also would not mind patching VERTEX2F for a faster operation of the FT81x but FTDI/Bridgetek would need to supply such a patch as the inner workings of the FT8xx are only partly explained.

What also is very slow is PNG support in FT81x.
I clocked a simple test picture with 3867 bytes to take 53ms for processing after sending the data.
While a JPG with 3903 only needed 480µs to process.
That means JPG is 110 faster than PNG.
Maybe this is the reason why PNG is missing from the table at http://brtchip.com/bt81x/ ?

Also I am wondering why the BT815/816 datasheet has not been updated so far with a release due next month.
The draft version really has nothing new so far, at least not in any detail.

Even more I am wondering why the FT81x programmers guide is not getting any updates despite the numerous bugs it contains and of which I reported some over a year ago.

And am I the only one wondering why the next device is named BT816 instead of BT814? :-)

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 11:21:35 AM »

Hello

Thanks for you suggestions regarding the API functions, I will certainly pass these along to the development team.

The datasheet and the Programmers Guide are currently in an update and review cycle. Once this has been finalised they will be released to the public.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

Rudolph

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 03:08:16 PM »

First and off-topic, do we eventually earn the right to post here without approval of a moderator?

And it is the 2nd of June already and http://brtchip.com/bt81x/ has not been updated yet.
Unbelieveable, I demand an update now! :-)

No, actually I do not but I would apreciate more information and an updated programmers guide.

Btw. the "FT81x Series Programmers Guide" link on that page is actually pointing to the FT81x datasheet.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 10:34:26 AM »

Hello Rudolph,

Unfortunately Moderator approval is required for all posts due to our internal security policy.

I believe the updated Programmers Guide will be available when the IC is officially released in the upcoming months.

Thank you for pointing out the incorrect link, I will let the web team know to update this.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

armadafg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »

Hell,

So if I understand the BT 815/6 is a FT81x with 72mhz max instead of 60Mhz, the external memory, ASTC and still 2000 instruction max right?
How much flash memory can we add to the maximum?

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 04:01:11 PM »

Hello,

Yes, the BT815/6 supports QSPI NOR flash chips with I believe a capacity of up to 265 MiB.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

Rudolph

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 07:06:41 AM »

Cypress has 1GBit NOR QSPI devices and Micron has 2GBit devices, Gigadevices has 512MBit.

SPI NAND however would be upto 8GBit.

If availability is the limiting factor: :-)

armadafg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »

Hello,
Do you think that there is a method of exceeding the 2000 instruction by image with the FT81x and the BT81x?

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 10:57:30 AM »

Hello,

As previously mentioned the BT815/6 (like the previous FT80x) includes 1MByte of internal graphics RAM, which will limit you to ~2000 instructions. However these new ICs include support for external flash memory which can be used to store/offload graphics elements such as images. Alternately you could store images on an SD card if your MCU has support for this.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

armadafg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 11:23:51 AM »

I'm sorry but I understand that the BT81x has 1M Vram in addition to the external ram but the number of instruction and the amount of RAM do not have anything to do.
The FT800 has only 256k and the FT810 has 1024k that said there is the same limit of instructions.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 03:41:38 PM »

Hello,

Sorry I ment to say "As previously mentioned the BT815/6 (like the previous FT80x) includes 1MByte of internal graphics RAM, and the same sized RAM_DL which will limit you to ~2000 instructions". I.e. that RAM_DL has not increased so the limit on instructions is the same.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community
Pages: [1] 2 3