FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: FTD2XX: What do FT_GetVIDPID and FT_SetVIDPID do?  (Read 8438 times)

mcmayer

• View Profile
FTD2XX: What do FT_GetVIDPID and FT_SetVIDPID do?
« on: January 15, 2019, 02:01:01 PM »

The D2XX library has two functions FT_SetVIDPID and FT_GetVIDPID (I refer to the D2XX Programmer's Guide https://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/ProgramGuides/D2XX_Programmer's_Guide(FT_000071).pdf).

FT_GetVIDPID retrieves the current VID and PID combination from within the internal device list table.

FT_SetVIDPID includes a custom VID and PID combination within the internal device list table.

Although it's not explilictly stated I think what's going on is this:
The D2XX library has a list of VID/PID combinations that it uses to select devices from the the scan. With FT_SetVIDPID VID/PID combinations can be appended to that list. FT_GetVIDPID retrieves the first (?) item in the list, and therefore never changes.

Am I getting this right?

It's somewhat counter-intuitive because FT_GetVIDPID is basically pointless. The returned value never changes.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FTD2XX: What do FT_GetVIDPID and FT_SetVIDPID do?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 04:53:43 PM »

Hello,

These functions are specifically for MAC OS and Linux.

You are right, FT_GetVIDPID has been deprecated.

FT_SetVIDPID can be used to set multiple custom VID/PID combinations which need to use the FTDI driver.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community