FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: LibMPSSE-I2C : FT2232H is not sending ACK  (Read 13967 times)

Tycoon

• View Profile
LibMPSSE-I2C : FT2232H is not sending ACK
« on: June 07, 2019, 08:47:10 AM »

Hello,

I'm trying to use LibMPSSE-I2C to communicate between an FT2232H (in a FTDI Click board) and MCP23017 and MCP3426.

Almost everything runs fine, including opening the channels and writing, but I have some issue with the I2C_DeviceRead function : it doesn't seem to send ACK after every byte the device sends. It's not an issue with the MCP23017 as the device sends only one byte at a time, but with the MCP3426 it's more problematic : the device sends back 3 bytes, but because it doesn't receive an ACK from the FT2232H after the first byte, it just stops the transfer.

Here's what it looks like under the oscilloscope :

I numbered the bits. Every nine bits, I've written an 'X' where either the FT2232H or the device is supposed to ACK. The first 'X' is correctly ACKed by the device, but the second 'X' is not ACKed by the FT2232H, causing the MCP3426 to stop the transfer. In the end, I get the first byte (which I assume is correct), but the two remaining bytes ends up being 0xFF which is incorrect.

Here's the DeviceRead I tried:

Code: [Select]
int err = I2C_DeviceWrite(i2cChannel->handle, address, size, payload, byte_transfered, I2C_TRANSFER_OPTIONS_START_BIT | I2C_TRANSFER_OPTIONS_STOP_BIT | I2C_TRANSFER_OPTIONS_FAST_TRANSFER_BYTES);
int err = I2C_DeviceWrite(i2cChannel->handle, address, size, payload, byte_transfered, I2C_TRANSFER_OPTIONS_START_BIT | I2C_TRANSFER_OPTIONS_STOP_BIT);
int err = I2C_DeviceWrite(i2cChannel->handle, address, size, payload, byte_transfered, I2C_TRANSFER_OPTIONS_START_BIT | I2C_TRANSFER_OPTIONS_STOP_BIT | I2C_TRANSFER_OPTIONS_NACK_LAST_BYTE);
Neither of them makes the FT2232H ACK.

Any idea where the problem could be ? Is it even a software problem ? On the hardware level, both SDA and SCL are pulled-up to the 3.3V (actually more like 3V but eh) with 4.7K resistors.

Thanks a lot !

Tycoon

• View Profile
Re: LibMPSSE-I2C : FT2232H is not sending ACK
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »

Hello !

I finally found a workaround ! For posteriority, I'll explain what I did to obtain the correct behavior.

It was indeed a software problem, in particular the problem seems to come from the LibMPSSE-I2C library. Basically, you need to recompile the lib after activating a workaround in the source code. It seems some guy named Grahal had the same issue and submitted a fix. The issue has to do with an SCL glitch, but I'll admit I'm not sure of the detail.

So, once you have download the source files of the library, open the ftdi_i2c.c file in the TopLayer folder. On line 1400, disable the proposition 2 by replacing the
if 1 with
if 0 Just below that, on line 1412, enable the proposition 3 by replacing the
if 0 with
if 1
Alternatively, you can activate the proposition 1 on line 1378 instead, it actually seems to work better for me.

Note that this fixes the FastRead function, so I'm not sure it'll fix the issue if you don't use
I2C_TRANSFER_OPTIONS_FAST_TRANSFER_BYTES
Recompile the project, and it should now work. If you use GCC, there's a build folder with a makefile and a script. If you use MSVC, there's some changes to do before it will compile :

• In ftdi_infra.c, comment out every declaration and definition of my_init and my_exit
  • In ftdi_infra.h, replace the likely(x) and unlikely(x) macro so that they don't do anything because __builtin_expect doesn't exist in MSVC

Finally, place yourself in the LibMPSSE folder and compile using
cl /LD /I../External/Windows/CDM /ICommon/inc /IInfra/inc /IMiddleLayer/inc /ITopLayer/I2C/inc Common/src/ftdi_common.c Infra/src/ftdi_infra.c MiddleLayer/src/ftdi_mid.c TopLayer/I2C/src/ftdi_i2c.c /FeLibMPSSE-I2C.dll or similar to create the shared library.

Maybe it'll help other people !

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:58:21 AM by Tycoon »

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 11:54:50 AM »

Hello,

Thanks for sending a follow up to your question explaining the workaround, I'm sure this will be a good resource for the Community.

Many thanks,
FTDI Community

Kixero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 04:13:06 PM »

Hello Tycoon !

Thank you a lot for sending a follow up to your question. I was stuck for a more than a week on this issue and I finally came accross your topic. That was the solution for me as well.
I just created an account on this forum only to thank you.

I would add that if one does not enable the I2C_TRANSFER_OPTIONS_FAST_TRANSFER option, the lines to edit to enable "proposal 3" are line 893 and line 905.

Many thanks,
Kixero