FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: 245 FIFO modes: Ok for WR to remain high between writes? (FT240X, FT245)  (Read 9689 times)

Jaholmes

• View Profile

I'm building a USB sensor application using discrete logic--no MCU or CPU.  I have a few candidate designs drawn up, and noticed that I could simplify things if it was permissible to keep WR normally high, then pulse low-high to write.  Datasheets for the FT240X and FT245 are a bit ambiguous about this.  I should mention that I'm also reading bytes, so RD must also being pulsed low-high periodically.  Can this happen while WR is held high--without anything bad happening?  Or must WR be low to read?  I'd guess it would be ok, but figure I ought to put it out there just in case.

Very best,
Aaron
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:02:30 PM by Jaholmes »

johnlon

• View Profile
Re: 245 FIFO modes: Ok for WR to remain high between writes? (FT240X, FT245)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 01:53:45 AM »

Using the UM245R module which carries the FT245.
I hold the read and write lines high by default and only bring RD low to get the necessary -ve edge to make the data available - it must return high for RXF to reset.
I bring write low to clock out the data but the return it high again after at least 50ns. 
Seems to work.