FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: FT232R CBUS pull-up  (Read 9020 times)

jefflongo

• View Profile
FT232R CBUS pull-up
« on: January 15, 2020, 03:35:57 AM »

Hello all,

I am using FT232R's CBUS3 pin in I/O mode (with VCCIO=3.3v) to control the reset pin of an STM32 microcontroller (which has an integrated 45kohm pull-up to vdd = 3.3v). When I am not actively driving the reset pin, I set CBUS3 to input mode. The FT232R datasheet specifies that input pins have an internal 200kohm pull-up to VCCIO. However, I notice that when I set CBUS3 to input mode, the reset node voltage drops from 3.3v to 2.6v. After disconnecting CBUS3 from the circuit, the reset node voltage is back to 3.3v, and CBUS3 is in fact not pulled-up when floating in input mode. Furthermore, if CBUS3 was even just tri-stated, I would expect the microcontroller's embedded reset pull-up to pull the voltage to 3.3v.

I have ensured the EEPROM is programmed to set CBUS3 to I/O mode and that the pull-down on USB suspend is not checked. My application works despite the reset node voltage dropping, but this is still less than desirable. Does anybody have any idea why CBUS3 is causing the voltage to drop?

Best,
Jeff

jefflongo

• View Profile
Re: FT232R CBUS pull-up
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:06:35 AM »

EDIT: after some more investigating it seems that the CBUS pins are in fact not pulled up to VCCIO even when disconnected from the circuit. Adding an external stronger pull-up seems to solve my problem.