FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: Ftdi 800 chip  (Read 18126 times)

SpeedlessAustralia

• View Profile
Ftdi 800 chip
« on: July 20, 2020, 11:34:30 AM »

Hi

Please advise f the ft800 chip is able to display data in mirror so it can read whilst Reflected on a windscreen as a heads up display on a car

Also the pwm value for the backlight is that defaulted to max from the factory ???

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ftdi 800 chip
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 02:49:16 PM »

Hello,

The FT80x series of EVE ICs do not support mirroring the output to the LCD. However the later EVE series ICS (FT81x and BT81x) do support screen mirroring via the REG_ROTATE register.

The REG_PWM_DUTY register which defines the backlight PWM output duty cycle defaults to max, however this register should be set during screen initialization.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

SpeedlessAustralia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:16:43 AM »

Hi

I am using the display with arduino board

You have commented

“duty cycle defaults to max, however this ..,.”

Can you please advise how I set this during initialisation

If I do not set it does it mean the brightness level will not be at its max level

Is the brightness level on the 81x chip the same, higher or lower than the 80x chip

No point me moving to 81x chip unless I am sure the brightness can be set max to achieve  readability as head up display on windscreen of car in middle of the day in full sunlight

I welcome your reply and thank you in advance.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 04:34:09 PM »

Hello,

During initialization you would write the desired value to REG_PWM_DUTY, but again the reset/default state of this register is 128, this is the maximum applicable value. So by default the backlight value would be set to its maximum value.

The version of EVE being used does not affect the maximum achievable brightness of a given LCD panel, all EVE has the ability to do is control the strength of the backlight via the REG_PWM_DUTY register.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

SpeedlessAustralia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 05:21:58 PM »

Thanks

Are you aware of the ft81x series of the Chip given its ability to mirror the output being successful in being used for heads up display ??

I currently have a newhaven screen despite it being suitable for screen to be readily in direct sunlight or does not have enough brightness to read the text displayed when reflected onto headsup display reflect film on the windscreen in the middle of the day on full sunny conditions

Are you aware of a chip bright enough to be able to display and reflect content into heads up reflective film and allow the content to be clearly and easily read when in brightness of midday sun

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 02:34:38 PM »

Hello,

Unfortunately I am not aware of a specific case where EVE has been use to produce a HUD, but again the ability to achieve this is more related to the LCD panel being used.

I am aware that special high brightness displays are available for such an application. You could try looking at winstar, display technology or Newhaven's product stacks to see if they have an applicable display for your application.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

SpeedlessAustralia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 05:21:33 PM »

Thanks fir your reply

I am sirkkbbveith new haven displays using the ft800 chip

And are exploring their models with the ft81 series

I Appreciate your tinn m r and feedback