FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: VNC1L as a keyboard controller? Polled vs interrupted?  (Read 7920 times)

AndersG

• View Profile
VNC1L as a keyboard controller? Polled vs interrupted?
« on: October 02, 2020, 02:36:30 PM »

I have a design for an universal keyboard controller for a special type of equipment that use a proprietary protocol. The design is based on a PI24 microcontroller. Unfortunately does that PIC only have one USB port and the microchip libraries lack support for hubs so I thought I'd investigate using a VNC1L as I already had one from another project. The proprietary protocol part is done as is PS/2 input for both Keyboard and mouse.

I am interfacing the VNC1L through SPI and I run it at maximum speed. The docs are sketchy, but I found some examples, brief ones in the internet, but I am wondering if I am going about things the wrong way as this implementation is far from ideal, ie:

You issue an "SSU $A101000100000800"  and then loop polling "SSU $210A003D00000000" where 3D is the desired poll speed.

Sometimes, out of the blue the VNC1L will return "Command failed" in which case I have to reissue "SSU $A101000100000800" and then continue polling.

My problem is that this polling eats a lot of cpu cycles that are better needed elsewhere. Is there a more elegant way to do this with a VNC1L or with another chip?
/AndersG

AndersG

• View Profile
Re: VNC1L as a keyboard controller? Polled vs interrupted?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 11:30:03 AM »

Thanks! I will look into it. FWIW, I think I have it sorted with the VNC1L though.

The VNC2-32L1C looks tempting though.. How different is it from the VNC1 as an USB to SPI host?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 05:46:06 PM by AndersG »
/AndersG

FTDI_USA

• View Profile
Re: VNC1L as a keyboard controller? Polled vs interrupted?
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 04:04:21 PM »

Hello:

The VNC1L SPI interface is only available as a SPI slave and uses "managed mode" SPI, which is not commonly used.

The VNC2-32L1C can be configured as a SPI slave or master, and supports "unmanaged SPI", which makes it compatible with industry standard SPI interfaces.

Feel free to contact me via  us.support@ftdichip.com  going forward.

Best Regards,

FTDI USA