FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: FT2232H default state of unused/GPIO pins when using a channel as JTAG, I2C, etc  (Read 12613 times)

GHOC3D

• View Profile

Hello,

I have a design that is using an FT2232H with channel A configured as JTAG, and channel B configured as I2C. On the JTAG channel, I wish to use one of the free pins as a GPIO to reset my board. I have looked through AN_184, table 5.1, and I see that, for example, the ACBUS1 pin is designated as 'Function' when the device is enumerated/active. But before any software intervention, what is the initial state of this pin? Is it driving high, driving low, or is it an input with pull-up/down? If it is pulled up or down, what is the resistance value?

My hope is that the GPIO pin is tristated initially, so I can pull it up or down on my PCB such that my reset signal is held inactive.

Thank you.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Hello,

The FT2232H ports will default to Async serial mode (UART) so you can check Table 3.1 FT2232H Pin Configurations for 64-pin QFN and LQFP package in the FT2232H Datasheet for the default pin functions.

Pins marked ** default to tri-stated inputs with an internal 75KΩ (approx.) pull up resistor to VCCIO.
This is the case for ACBUS1 that you mentioned.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

GHOC3D

• View Profile

Thank you for that answer, that's good news!

If I then start to use the MPSSE as JTAG, without having done anything to alter the state of ACBUS1, which becomes GPIOH1, will GPIOH1's state still remain a tri-stated input with internal 75KR pullup until I change it to something else?

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Hello,

Yes this will be the default pin configuration until you enable MPSSE mode.

We have development modules available for test, evaluation and reference:

FT2232H-56 Mini-Module
FT2232H Mini-Module

The -56 module is easier to power with a single jumper in comparison to the other modules which needs multiple external connections to power it.

Best Regards,
FTDI Community

GHOC3D

• View Profile

Thank you, that works for me.