FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: LibFT260 update needed ?  (Read 7856 times)

ffred

• View Profile
LibFT260 update needed ?
« on: May 25, 2022, 01:34:57 PM »

Hi,
I'm on my way creating a Rust binding to LibFT260 (while still learning Rust)..
I discovered the FT260 few weeks ago while searching something to replace the unavailable IC I was planning to use. it was a good thing because it suits better my needs. so at this time I downloaded all I found (doc & library) about FT260.
now I read a part of the doc and I'm beginning to use the library, but found inconsistencies.
first of all, I initially downloaded LibFT260 v1.1.5 but can't remember where and now only found v1.1.3 on the FT260 webpage !??
was it removed or is there another place to download the library ?
https://www.ftdichip.com/old2020/Products/ICs/FT260.html

if I compare LibFT260.h from v1.1.3 and v1.1.5, the only difference is a new function in v1.1.5 : FT260_SetFeature

both versions still have a top description saying :
Code: [Select]
* @file LibFT260.h
 * @author FTDI
 * @date 2015-07-01
 * Copyright © 2015 Future Technology Devices International Limited
 * Company Confidential
 * Rivision History:
 * 1.0 - initial version

maybe you could update the version number in the comment according with the library version..

now a bigger problem, the "AN_395_User_Guide_for_LibFT260.pdf" documentation is really older than even the v1.1.3; several functions are missing in it.

the sample codes are not updated according to the library version (some error codes missing for example).
I haven't looked at all the sample codes, but for example in open_device.cpp lines 143 & 149, the comments seems to be inverted..

in the library there are functions to open by serial number or by product description in v1.1.3 or .5 libraries, but no function to read serial number or device description of the HID devices. would be great also to have function to modify them and then don't have to use FTProg (witch I have to test again later, but I had odd results at my rapid first try with FT260 - more about it later if I can confirm it..).

still working on it. will let you know of my progress..
thanks.
ffred

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: LibFT260 update needed ?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 04:16:04 PM »

Hi Fred,
On your initial point regarding the versioning of libFT260, it looks like you are using a link to an old version of our website (see the old2020 part of your URL) which is where you are finding the 1.1.3 file.

Version 1.1.5 is the current version on the website.... https://ftdichip.com/products/ft260q/    

The only way to edit the serial number or description is via FT Prog.  This is a HID class device.

See section 9 User Configuration of the FT260 Datasheet for programmable parameters. FT_PROG must be used to program these as it can't be done using the library. You must also use UMFTPD3A for programming.
https://ftdichip.com/products/umftpd3a/

There is an update to the libFT260 user guide which hasn't made it to the website yet.   If you can send us an email we can send you this version for now.   

Regards
FTDI Community 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 04:56:06 PM by FTDI Community »

ffred

• View Profile
Re: LibFT260 update needed ?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 06:01:05 AM »

Hi, thanks for replying.
well, I see.. in fact the first time I didn't know the FT260 so I get to your website with a Google search for "FTDI" and search there for something and found the FT260.
now since I know the FT260 I directly search for "FT260" on Google and there's an odd thing because the first two links looks the same. the visible part of the links address begins with ftdichip.com ("old" or "2020" not visible). the first link is for FT260Q, with a QFN picture and the second is for FT260 with a TSSOP picture.
and since I want to use the TSSOP, I clicked on the second link each time. didn't imagine there could be an old and new version of your website available at the same time. my bad..
still, version numbering could be updated inside the library files.

ok for using FTPROG for setting the programmable parameters.
but then, like we have a function to open by devicePath and one to read the devicePath, there could be a function to read the serial number or the description, since we have functions to "open by" serial or description..

(and I send you my mail address).

thanks !
ffred