FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: Trouble with Mac OS Beta Driver - 1.5.0  (Read 10960 times)

dsandber

• View Profile
Trouble with Mac OS Beta Driver - 1.5.0
« on: August 19, 2022, 09:47:06 AM »

I installed the 1.5.0 driver and rebooted (is a reboot necessary?) on a Mac running OSX 12.4 (Monterey).

I don't see the driver listed when I do "kextstat" (should it be shown? as what?)

However, now when I iterate the com ports via API I see two different /dev/ files listed -- /dev/cu.usbserial-2               
 and /dev/cu.usbserial-TheSerialNumber.

This is due to a bug in the driver or installation, right?  How do I uninstall the driver so the extra /dev/ entry goes away?

The reason I'm not content to use Apple's standard driver is that I want to lower the USB latency polling to 1ms so that I can have more transactions per second for the device I'm designing.  Does this new driver support that without a re-sign being required?

Thanks!

-Dan

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with Mac OS Beta Driver - 1.5.0
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 03:15:05 PM »

Hi,
You are correct that you need to use the FTDI driver for the latency issue.  The thread below covers this subject:- 
https://www.ftdicommunity.com/index.php?topic=547.msg2134#msg2134

The last post from the thread has the info on latency you need. 

On the double instance of the port, are you seeing a .cu and a .tty for the same device or is there a different thing appended onto the end of each entry?

Regards
FTDI Community

dsandber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 09:43:04 AM »

Thanks, I had seen that thread.  The utility does work to reduce latency, though I see increased serial errors with it.  The utility author apparently had a similar problem and that caused him to bypass the serial driver completely and interface with the FTDI API instead.

To answer your question, I am seeing these files when I insert ONE dongle:

cu.usbserial-2
cu.usbserial-THE_SERIAL
tty.usbserial-2
tty.usbserial-THE_SERIAL

When I do "kextstat | grep -v com.ap" it doesn't show any non-Apple drivers loaded.   So I'm confused how the driver could not be loaded but yet installing it caused the /dev links to show up twice.

BTW, should this thread be moved to the Drivers category?  It seems like I started it in the wrong place.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 09:44:55 AM by dsandber »

dsandber

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 11:55:07 AM »

I figured out an ugly but effective way to uninstall the beta driver that caused me to have duplicate port entries.

I had to restart in recovery mode, disable SIP, then run a command to uninstall the system extension that the beta driver installs.

Fun.