FTDI Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Advanced Search  

News:

Welcome to the FTDI Community!

Please read our Welcome Note

Technical Support enquires
please contact the team
@ FTDI Support

New Bridgetek Community is now open

Please note that we have created the Bridgetek Community to discuss all Bridgetek products e.g. EVE, MCU.

Please follow this link and create a new user account to get started.

Bridgetek Community

Author Topic: Basic questions about ft4232h and 74HC595 leds  (Read 15066 times)

bm16ton

• View Profile
Basic questions about ft4232h and 74HC595 leds
« on: October 22, 2022, 05:54:22 PM »

Hello, i have a ft4232h board with a 74HC595 shift register controlling led indicators, my setup is bank A spi bank B i2c and banks C and D uart. The leds work fine for all banks except bank A spi. Ive searched high and low and know it must exist but cant find any real documentation about debugging the shift register for leds. It seems like a hardware only thing, but i should ask does it require any special bits in the eeprom? Is spi to fast for the leds or is it something else. Im pretty sure i read the normal non shift register tx/rx leds that get setup via eeprom are for uart only, is the shift register way the same and ive been lucky with i2c sneaking its way into working? Thank you in advance these spi leds woukd prove very helpful in debugging.

FTDI Community

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Basic questions about ft4232h and 74HC595 leds
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 09:57:45 AM »

Hi,
The traffic LEDs through the eeprom interface are applicable for UART only.
We are checking your use case to see if we can also get LEDs via I2C

Regards
FTDI Community

bm16ton

• View Profile
Re: Basic questions about ft4232h and 74HC595 leds
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 11:51:21 PM »

Actually my i2c does great with the leds its the spi that doesnt work. But huge help to know its supposed to be uart only, makes me feal less crazy! lol. But yes i2c the leds work and i2c on bus A on bus B i use spi  no led activity on spi bus B.  Thank you for your response!